marți, 6 ianuarie 2009

To grace or not to grace

Moto: Gracefulness has been defined to be the outward expression of the inward harmony of the soul. William Hazlitt

Cliché isn't it? The question, I mean. Poor Shakespeare, had he known this expression would catch for centuries, he would have never written Hamlet, or at least not this particular line.

I have been obsessed with grace all my life. I wouldn't be able to say exactly why. But every second of my somehow ordinary existence was filled with the cold fear that I am not graceful enough. At all times, I fiercely investigate the way I walk and talk, the way I think and especially the way I feel.

I believe in the hygiene of thoughts and feelings and it is precisely this hygiene that throws a graceful light on the people harbouring such purified pieces of the mind and of the heart.


I once heard a famous artist say that his goal in life was to be able to use people and money gracefully. Never thought of putting together grace and money, but why not in the end?

By pure coincidence or maybe not so incidental, I had an assistant professor in college who forced me to write during an exam an essay on the phrase: Grace, more beautiful than beauty itself. For every student in her class, she chose the quote that was relevant to the personality of that particular student. It was the first public recognition of my endless striving for grace. I still treasure it as a very mind-shaping memory.

Do not associate grace with ballet or any other form of art. Just associate it with inner peace or with the art of living. I simply wish to live without hurting people by my presence. To be the one they need not the one they avoid. The heart that is always there to lend an ear or a Kleenex.

While doing all that, I feel the need to gracefully put it down in words to build roads between people, roads which make life a whole lot easier.

2 comentarii:

copil frumos spunea...

But you ARE grace itself. It is clear as day even for those you watch you for a few seconds!

Cuzubella spunea...

Thank you! I've probably become so because of my obsession :-)